There is no such thing as a “male yeast infection” — sort of.

A yeast infection as it is commonly known to most people via TV commercials etc.,  refers to an overgrowth of fungus in a woman’s vagina.  All other yeast infections can happen in either sex.   Some are annoying and some can be deadly.

An overgrowth of yeast on the skin is called a candida infection.  Either sex can get this and people with weak immune systems or diabetes are prone to getting them.   Men do get a form of yeast infection if they have jock itch.  This is a yeast infection (fungal) but this is a disease of the skin and not of the mucus membranes.   It can be serious but it does not grow inside the penis — it can if you’re immune system is very weak, but normally it is just a very itchy rash in the area of the groin.

Another form of yeast or fungus on the skin is a skin infection called ringworm — it is not a worm but rather a fungus that grows on the skin in the shape of a red crusty donut.  

Any true infection of the mouth or other mucus membrane with yeast or fungus is called “thrush” or Moniliasis — this is rarely found in healthy individuals.  It does occur in the mouth after long-term use of antibiotics that alter the normal bacteria in the mouth.  It also occurs in healthy babies and in adults with poor immune function.

A man or a woman with a yeast infection (thrush) in the mouth should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.